Collecting Child Support

Collecting child support can be a challenge for some. If you find yourself in this situation, contact the attorney’s at Spooner & Associates for assistance.

Most parents financially support their children, through child support or other means. Unfortunately, there are some parents who do not take their obligations seriously and fail to provide for their children. Despite media reports about “deadbeat dads,” both parents can be guilty of neglecting their financial responsibilities.  If you find yourself in a situation where you are left as the sole supporter of your child or children, the attorneys of Spooner & Associates can help.  

child holding hands with a parent

Failure to Provide Child Support

We find that the failure to provide support typically occurs in two situations: 1) when there is no court order requiring support or 2) the non-supporting parent is violating a court’s order of support (a divorce order or other support order).

In the first situation, before you have a legal right to collect support, you will need to file an action requesting that the court issue an order requiring the payment of child support. If the child’s paternity is in doubt or disputed, a DNA test may be required before collecting support from the father.  Both parents will also need to provide the court with financial information to establish the correct amount of support. Courts in Georgia consider many factors such as parents’ income, costs of health insurance, medical expenses, and daycare in setting the support order. Setting the correct amount is very important since court orders typically dictate support payments until the child is 18 years old (although they can be modified by a Court if the situation changes).  Our attorneys are very experienced in child support issues, and will fight for your rights to establish the correct amount of support.

In the situation where there is already a court order that is being ignored, an action will need to be filed with the court to seek payment of current and back support. You will need to establish the amount of support that has not been paid. Nonpayment of child support, medical expenses or other court-ordered expenses can be collected in this action. Our attorneys are experienced advocates and will aggressively pursue the collection of money due to you and your children.

If you need our assistance, or have any questions, please contact us at (678) 714-1131.

Share This Article

Other Blog That May Interest You

wooden blocks representing family
Family Law

Step-Parent Adoption

While adoptions are an exciting time for families, it may also feel overwhelming..

Read More >
woman holding iphone

Before You Hit Send…

Technology has afforded us with new ways to communicate. Text messages, email, video.

Read More >
tax law file

How the New Federal Tax Law Could Impact Your Divorce

If you are considering a divorce, it is important to understand the consequences.

Read More >

The law offices of Spooner and Associates, P.C. provides quality family law and personal injury representation for residents of all North Metro Atlanta Counties (including Gwinnett County, Barrow County, Forsyth County, Jackson County, Walton County, Hall County, Forsyth County, and North Fulton County), which includes the cities of Suwanee, Lawrenceville, Duluth, Alpharetta, Atlanta, Sugar Hill, Buford, John’s Creek, Milton, Cumming, Gainesville, Oakwood, Snellville, Winder, Monroe, Dacula (including Hamilton Mill), Auburn, Braselton, Hoschton, and Jefferson.